LE TRIBUNE MARMOREE DEL XVI SECOLO DELLA CHIESA DEL SANTISSIMO SALVATORE A PALERMO
- Authors: Guadagna, Girolamo
- Publication year: 2018
- Type: Articolo in rivista
- OA Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10447/665388
Abstract
An unpublished document, (listed in the Appendix) reported that in 1561 the abbess of the “Santissimo Salvatore” cloister in Palermo, commissioned the brothers Fazio and Vincenzo Gagini to sculpt a marble “cona” that had to be put in the altar of the church. Following new liturgical orders imposed by the Council of Trent and the building of a new church in 1682 by the architect Paolo Amato, a series of changes and displacements occurred, almost causing the entire loss of the work. The study analyses several of these episodes up to the discovery of some fragments that are now exhibited in the “Galleria Regionale” of Palazzo Abatellis.